Sunday, February 24, 2013

More Than a Fan But Less Than a Player

     I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in a family that breaths, sleeps and dreams football. With that being said, all my life I have been a die heart Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I have attended well over fifty home Steeler games which included two AFC Championships. Watching every game since I can remember and going to as many as I can, it seemed as if I would be a Steeler fan for the rest of my life. However, something changed that and it was certainly for the better. It wasn't expected but it turned out to be the best thing that could have possibly happened.
    
On April 28, 2012 my cousin Gino Gradkowski was selected 98th overall in the NFL draft by the Baltimore Ravens. Considering we were all Steeler fans it was tough to swallow knowing we'd have to wear purple while rooting for out Division rival. That feeling lasted lasted for a split second and once we came to realization that our cousin Gino had just been drafted, we were all immediately Ravens fans. In our family we are all raised like siblings and are closer than anyone could even imagine and that's why that day was special for so many of us. Even though it was our second time experiencing an NFL draft day, as Gino's big brother Bruce was selected in the sixth round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 2006, we were just as excited as the first time. On that day, there wasn't a person in attendance who could have ever imagined how amazing Gino's rookie year would be.
    
It has been twelve years since the Ravens have been crowned Super Bowl champions, but destiny was on their side when 17 year veteran and future Hall of Famer, Ray Lewis announced this would be his final season. A little over a month after his announcement, the Baltimore Ravens hoisted the Lombardi Trophy for the first time since 2000.

Super Bowl XLVII was hosted in New Orleans, Louisiana and this one was particularly special for me. Not only did I get to watch my cousin run out of the tunnel on Super Sunday, but I was lucky enough to be in New Orleans for the whole weekend. The experience was like none other before, I was basically living the dream for five days.


It wasn't your ordinary Super Bowl trip; we were able to experience much more than any spectator. Arriving in New Orleans on Thursday my expectations were high, but I never could have imagined experiencing the things I did. Thursday night I went to the Welcome Party for players and their families. I was able to meet Ed Reed, Torrey Smith, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, and even Coach Harbaugh.

Being surrounded by all these professional athletes was unreal and it was a dream come true to meet some of the people I did. Looking back at that night, now knowing they won the Super Bowl it was unbelievable that I was “hanging out” with World Champions.

The rest of my guy cousins got there on Friday. We met up with them on Bourbon Street for lunch and then later that night was once again remarkable.

We met at Gino’s hotel, which was a five star hotel, and ate at the famous oyster restaurant connected to the hotel. Not only was the dinner excellent, but it tasted even better since it was free.

As I’m sitting at the table, I look to my right and see Keyshawn Johnson, former Dallas Cowboy wide receiver and current ESPN broadcaster. Also that night I saw Mike Ditka, Phil Simms, Hines Ward, Chris Burman and Marvin Lewis. Surrounded in celebrities I wanted to go crazy like a little kid on Christmas, but I was able to remain calm and “cool.”

Saturday morning was yet again special. We woke up early and outside our hotel was a charter bus that took all the players families down to the Super Dome for the Ravens final practice. It was so awesome walking through the tunnel and coming out to see the empty dome. To think that it would be filled with 70 thousand people the next day for the biggest event in sports, well, it gave me chills.

They practiced earlier that morning so when the families got there they could just hang around and talk with us. They were all in their jerseys and having a great time being surrounded by their families and just taking in the moment.

I got to meet Ray Lewis, Jacoby Jones and Ray Rice and Coach Harbaugh again. As this winded down, we said bye to Gino and then began walking to the Hyatt hotel where we got to eat in the VIP room because my uncle knew a sales executive that worked for LG.

Saturday night was less eventful as I ate with a couple of my cousins, my dad, my Uncle Bruce and my Aunt Debbie at a local Bar and Grill.

After dinner was exciting as me and my cousin Timmy walked down to Bourbon Street to meet up with the older cousins. On a Saturday night Bourbon Street was crowded and wild. It was like nothing I've ever seen before and I can’t put into words how crazy that atmosphere is.

The big day was here, we woke up on Super Sunday and headed down to the players families luncheon. Full of gator meat and oysters, it was your typical New Orleans meal. After the meal we all went back and got ready as game time was almost there.

There were too many cousins for all of us to have tickets so we decided that none of us would go. Joe Flacco, Matt Birk whose the starting center and my cousin Gino all have the same agent so he rented out a restaurant for all of their families.

Free appetizers kept coming out and a buffet dinner at halftime. Around 100 family and friends of those players were there and it was absolutely nuts.

When the Ravens started off strong by scoring a touchdown on their first possession, I thought the place was going to collapse. Continuous cheering and screaming throughout the whole night created a game-like atmosphere.

As the clock hit zero it went even crazier and the restaurant literally was shaking. High fives and hugs being exchanged with everyone, it was an amazing feeling.

After the game, Gino got there and gave all of us the biggest hug ever. To think that my cousin, the same guy I watched pay since I can remember, was a Super Bowl champion.

All of my family unable to hold back the tears because they were so proud of him and all the work he put in to accomplish the ultimate goal on the biggest stage in football.

Not long after that Joe Flacco, Super Bowl XLVII MVP, comes walking into the restaurant. It was surreal partying with three guys that had just won Super Bowl, one in which was the MVP.

This was the best experience of my life and I made memories that I will cherish forever. I couldn't be more proud of my cousin Gino who is, always has been, and always will be one of the biggest role models in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment