Sunday, April 28, 2013

Beating the Odds


Bruce (#7) and Gino (#66) Gradkowski
after their two teams met during the 2012 
regular season.
It all starts as a young boy and continues all the way in to adult hood. But there comes a time in every mans life, when the realization settles in that he won't become a professional athlete. We grow up playing every sport, dreaming to make it to the pros and be just like our favorite players. Through the eyes of an optimistic toddler, it seems so possible and easy, we think if they can do it then so can I. Unfortunately, just about all of us have that dream come to an end. Professional athletes are rare for people to see and be around, whether its them going to your high school, living in your area, or playing in conference. For most people in America, their relationship with a professional athlete is through a television, during game time of their favorite team. However, there are some people that are fortunate and get to be a part of a professional athletes life. These people are so lucky, not because they know someone famous and not because they know someone with a lot of money, but because they get to witness something so rare, they get to witness the journey of a professional athlete. The talent and athleticism are God given to most, but a lot of the time, that's not enough to make it. When God gives you a talent, he is giving you an opportunity and he is giving you a choice..most people aren't willing to sacrifice the time and dedication, and hard work that it takes to use your talents. They are simply choosing to not use the ability God has given them. In anything you do in life, whether it's sports or something else, talent can only take you so far and in order to be the best and rise above everyone else, you must work harder than them.

I consider myself lucky to have the family I do and experience the things that I do especially in relation to athletics. The memories and moments we've shared as a family watching these two participate at the highest level is indescribable.

The most recent was my trip to New Orleans for SUper Bowl XLVII in which my cousin Gino played in. Serving as a back up linemen, he was a starter on special teams. The experience was a dream, I was living the high-life for a week, and then to see Gino bring home his first Super Bowl ring was an awesome feeling. It made me think back to when I was on the sideline as the ball boy for when he and my cousin Carmen won the WPIAL Championship at Heinz Field in 2004.

To experience the things I have because of these guys can't be matched, but more so than all the fame and success, they haven't changed a thing about them. They are still the same exact people they've always been. To have these two guys so close to me and also have them serve as role models, has been a blessing. They have taught me that no matter how rich or famous you become, the only thing that can make you truly happy is the loved one's in your life. I will always cherish the memories they have blessed my family an I with but more importantly I will never forget the lessons they have taught me throughout the years.






No comments:

Post a Comment